I made this salad on a whim in one of the earlier days of quarantine; it wasn’t planned, it just sort of came together. The simple combination quickly became a regular staple as the stay at home order dragged on. I grew to look forward to my zingy and bright lunchtime treat.
To some, it might not feel like an obvious combination – kale, oranges, avocado, ginger, and lime – but after one bite, this juicy salad transports you from a boring lunch at home to a tropical vacation. The citrusy kick of the oranges with the spicy-tart dressing is the perfect counterpoint to the mellow creaminess of the avocado. Served on a bed of kale, it can easily be bulked up with chicken, shrimp, tofu, or your favorite protein or simply served as is.
A word from those in the know – massage your kale! It’s an extra step that actually makes a huge difference. Just trim the leaves off the thick kale stem/rib (or if you’re lazy like me just pull them off), drizzle some olive oil on top along with a pinch of salt. Grab the leaves and rub the oil into them with your fingers until all the leaves appear darker and shiny. Bonus – the salt/EVOO combo will leave your hands feeling silky smooth! This added step isn’t just for appearances, it tenderizes the leaves and helps release the sugars within them to balance their bitter flavor with some sweetness.
A couple of notes:
- As a reminder I am usually cooking for one so my recipes usually have 1-2 servings but can easily be doubled if you are serving more people!
- The measurements for the dressing are more than you will need for one serving. I like to make a small batch and keep it in my fridge for the next few salads.
KALE, ORANGE, AVOCADO SALAD WITH GINGER LIME DRESSING
Time: 10 mins
- 1-2 cups Kale, ribs removed and leaves massaged with olive oil
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 orange, sectioned (I used cara cara oranges but any will do)
GINGER LIME DRESSING
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Minced jalapeño to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Prepare the kale: wash your bunch, remove the stems and massage with olive oil. See above for how to do this! Place into a bowl.
- Slice the avocado into thin strips, add to bowl with kale.
- Peel and section your orange: slice off citrus tips on both sides using a sharp knife to create two flat surfaces. Setting the citrus on one flat surface, slice off the skin and pith, following the shape of the sphere. Once skins are fully removed, slice each fruit horizontally into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Add to kale and avocado.
- In a mason jar or bowl combine dressing ingredients. Dress salad with as much dressing as desired. I usually use 1-2 tablespoons.